Tardis Beginner Tutorials
These tutorials are intended for the beginner Tardis user who has had little / no prior experience with unix or linux. These documents will therefore begin with the most basic of basics, and start by teaching you to use the Bash shell and navigating the filesystem. If you already have experience with *nix and want to know the answer to a specific questions feel free to skip to the specific part you're interested in, as these tutorials also explain tardis-specific things that you will need to know even if you already know your way around a linux system. Also, check out this FAQ Below are links to the different tutorials, someone using tardis for the first time should follow them from the beginning in order.
- 1. Connecting to Tardis and logging on
- 2. Using bash (the linux commandline shell)
- 3. Reading and sending mail
- 4. Using screen to keep sessions running when you disconnect
- 5. Using irssi with screen for IRC
- 6. Using nano to write and edit text documents and config files
- 7. Browsing the tardis network filesystem to make your homepage
- 8. Monitoring and manipulating your processes (running programs)
- 9. Setting up RSA keys and using scp to copy files over ssh
- 10. Using Links to browse the internet and wget to download files
- 11. Configuring and compiling your own software from source
- The quick tardis cheatsheet for console commands
If you need anything clarified or I've made a mistake in this document feel free to email rain at tardis dot ed dot ac dot uk or find slowriot on irc in #tardis.